Friday, November 15, 2013

What a Saad Story

Watching Ahmed Saad play the last couple seasons has been a delight.  His cheerful demeanor, his winning smile, his goofy, 23-step approach... it's all been great.  Even learning of his commitment to his religious principles, to the point of observing Ramadan fasting rules during the season.  That takes dedication, and altogether Saad is the kind of player whom fans and teammates can admire.  I, for one, was very excited to see his continued development.

I say was because the Saints decided to de-list him as they await the outcome of this tribunal.  It's a very disappointing move, in a story that's been even more disappointing.

Saad faces as much as a two-year ban, but I doubt he'll be punished that severely.  Considering that not one Essendon player has yet been punished in any way, I think it would be extremely unfair to put this young player's career in jeopardy for this offense.  More likely in my view, he'll get a 12-game suspension with a hefty fine, or possibly as much as an entire year ban.  But I believe a ban is different from a suspension in that a suspended player can continue to train with the team, and maybe even play in the VFL while banned players must have no contact whatever with the club.  That might not be the official distinction, but that's how I distinguish them.  So a suspension would be preferrable.

StK have hinted that if Saad is indeed banned for two years, they will probably let him go for good.  What a shame.  His career is only just beginning and I think he stood a chance to become a fan favorite.  No matter what punishment is handed down, I would love to see the Saints give this kid all the support they can.  If he may continue to train while suspended, let him do so.  If he is not allowed to be part of the club, help him find a way to stay fit and ready to play.  It may cost a little bit, and it may not pay off.  Yet to simply write him off as done, at 24 years old, for a fairly minor offense (in the grand scheme of things), would be a let down.

I won't say the club owes it to him; maybe Saad is more culpable than it seems.  For all I know, he was warned not to take the questionable supplement.  And maybe some team leaders would say there's no way a club can do anything for him.  I'm only a fan, after all.  From my perspective, though, I think they can find a way to save his career and I think it will be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment