Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Milne's Saga

Stephen Milne's rape trial is in its early stages, and it's turning out to be a sad, disheartening mess.

When news broke a few months ago that Milne would be charged for the 2004 incident, I think very little was known about it.  I wasn't a footy fan in 2004, so I don't know what came out in the press at that time.  But I suspect that since the charges were dropped, the public was told only that a woman had accused Milne of rape, it was at Montagna's house, and nothing more would come of it.  Skip ahead 9 years and things are very different.

This time the case is being heard fully and publicly, and it's not flattering.  I'll let you read the salacious details, but the reputations of Milne and Montagna have been tarnished, to say the least.  Whether Milne is found guilty or not, we all now know that they made some extremely poor decisions that night, indicative of less-than-admirable morals.  Also, Montagna will have to testify for the court, which may have fallout of its own.

I know people make mistakes; I know people change, they mature, they grow up.  I know a lot of my disappointment stems from my personal opinion of these two players (I like both of them a lot).  And, of course, Milne and Montagna were 24 and 21, respectively, and new to fame and wealth.  It's hard to know how that plays on one's decision-making ability.  I made mistakes at 21, and I was neither famous nor wealthy.  But when you become a professional athlete, you cease to be a kid; you are an adult being paid a lot of money and expected to handle yourself with dignity and discernment.

This club has had other incidents involving sexual indiscretion and insobriety.  Every player whose been in the league more than a couple years needs to see himself as a role model, and know that his actions and attitudes are influencing younger players.  Players spend a lot of time together, and peer pressure is arguably one of the most powerful forces guiding behavior in a club.  This sad story underscores how crucial it is for the players to make sure this pressure is positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment